"Now I say that with cruelty and oppression it is everybody's business to interfere when they see it."

~Anna Sewell

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

You gotta be kidding me.

Most people want to know exactly what they're getting when buying a horse. So let's talk about one of my biggest pet peeves: people who sell mares who *might* be in foal.

Okay... what? Why the hell would someone want a mare that might be in foal? I don't know about you, but I want to know up front, for 100% certainty, and with vet records, that the mare is or is not pregnant. I don't want any surprises 11 months from now. If the mare has been exposed to a stallion, you better show me some paperwork proving that she is or isn't in foal.

What if someone pays for a mare in foal and the mare ends up not being pregnant after all? And what if someone buys a mare not knowing she's pregnant, and ends up with a foal that they can't afford or take care of?

I hate it when people do that. It gives me the impression that they're lazy, bottom-feeding hillbillies.

Blegh.

No comments:

Post a Comment