"Now I say that with cruelty and oppression it is everybody's business to interfere when they see it."

~Anna Sewell

Saturday, February 28, 2009

This is a joke.


Are these people serious?

Perfect example of a stallion presented just terribly. The picture is smooshed down so he looks short and stubby, he's got no muscle tone, he's not even close to square, and his ribs are showing. No knowledgeable horse person would breed to this stallion. Granted, he'd make a nice gelding. He's not all that bad conformation wise if you really look at him, but this photo just screams that these people have no clue what they're doing. What a way to advertise your stud, right? The best part is, this is the only in- hand conformation shot they have of any of their horses. Most the other pictures on their site are pasture pics.

Click for larger view.

These people are obviously color breeders. Sure, this mare is a pretty color, but that's all she's got going for her physically. She's post- legged and has a flat croup. It doesn't look like she's got that nice of a head or neck, but again, you can't really tell because of the cruddy pasture shot. You can't even see the baby (maybe they did that on purpose?).
This mare is their "pride and joy"? Again, flashy little color pattern, but not a bit of decent conformation. I'm not going to bother pointing out the faults, of which there are many. Not to mention the shitty pasture shot. That's real professional. The least they could do is catch her when she's square. The junk in the background really compliments it, doesn't it? Well, at least this one is resonably clean, unlike the piebald. But that's the nicest thing I can say about this mare.

And people buy horses from these breeders. Adding fuel to the fire. Come on, people. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Oh, and my favorite part of the whole website.

" We wanted freindly safe horses for kids and adults. The breeding for color, pedigree and agility came second. "

WHAT? All of those things should be equally considered when you breed. No trait is more important than another. Well, color should be the least of your concern, because that's more of a cosmetic feature and doesn't affect the horses' function. We all know what I think about color breeders. That's for another post.

So they claim they breed for temperament. Fantastic. Did they even put an iota of thought into performance or conformation? A puppy dog disposition doesn't save a horse from the feedlot. And I've seen some damn good looking and gentle horses in feedlots.

From their site, it sounds like it's a mother/daughter team going on and they're very new to the breeding world. And it clearly shows. I think it all boils down to a lack of experience, and probably a lack of brain cells.

I'm going to go get my Excedrin. Things like this give me migranes.

The more dumb breeders I see, the more I love my barn. And the more ugly horses I see, the more I appreciate my own horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment